Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Two days in Paris!

I am in Paris for a couple of days only, but would like to make the most of it! Suggestions on what all to see, where to stay (looking for very cheap accommodation for backpacking couple) and food. Any advice would be welcome!




|||



I%26#39;d really recommend the Musee Rodin, its really beautiful and serene and you will see all of his most famous works such as The Thinker,The Gates of Hell, The Kiss.Then I%26#39;d think about going on one of the many cruises on the Seine, you really get some nice shots of the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and all the ornate bridges if pictures are your thing.





I did climb the Arc De Triomphe when I was there but I think it was more impressive from the outside looking in than it is from the top looking off.





If you absolutely must see the Louvre I%26#39;d advise going on one of the late opening days after 6 maybe as there will not be many people around or at least this was my experience and you shouldn%26#39;t meet too many crowds at the Mona Lisa and Venus De Milo.



After this I would head to the Eiffel Tower, having been during both night and day, I favor the experience at night as the tower will sparkle for about 15 minutes on the hour and if your on it when this happens its spectacular. And all the major attractions in the city are illuminated so they%26#39;re that bit easier to spot ;).





I think Notre Dame is always great to visit after all what%26#39;s a trip to Paris without visiting this beautiful piece of architecture. You can also climb the towers here and get up close and personal with the infamous gargoyles just beware that its a small stone spiral staircase going up so if your claustrophobic you probably should avoid it.





But to be honest there%26#39;s so much to do in Paris you%26#39;ll find it hard to do everything you want I was there for 5 days and still didn%26#39;t see it all.





As for accommodation I%26#39;m intending to stay in Citea Philippe Auguste on my next in visit in September as they only charge €87 per room per night and its an apartment style set up so your not in a total shoebox room as so often happens in Paris hotels. It is a little far out but the metro is absolutely brilliant and you should never have much of a problem getting in and out of the city.





As for food I%26#39;m not of much help as I ate fast food most of the time, I%26#39;m not a terribly adventurous eater:D





Hope I%26#39;ve given you some helpful info and enjoy your trip




|||



On this forum you can search for budget accommodations. There are lots of suggestions. Try for something in the Latin Quarter (5th arr) because I know there are some good values there and because it is so centrally located. You will need a central location if you%26#39;re only going to be there for 2 days. Do not stay in the hostel near Gare du Nord. Find a different place/neighborhood.




|||



Thanks a lot for all the replies! I still need some more help on a budget place to stay. I have basically no clue about Paris!





And perhaps a brief itinerary for two days.




|||



Why would you want us to tell you where to go and what to see? Since it%26#39;s YOUR trip, wouldn%26#39;t you rather tell us where YOU want to go? Then we can help put it into logical order for you. Do you have a guidebook and a map? It%26#39;s not as if you won%26#39;t need it once you%26#39;re in Paris anyway.





Tell us your interests and your budget and you%26#39;ll likely get more help if you don%26#39;t want to plan your own trip.





Btw, this isn%26#39;t meant to be snarky. You really will get more help if you give us more information and do some homework of your own. Your trip will be the richer because of it too.




|||



Ok here is my plan:





Must see - Effel Tower, Louvre, Arc de Triumph, Notre Dame and maybe a ride in the Seine and eat some good French food with wine.





I would also like to experience the night life of the city, I really don%26#39;t care about sleeping and can be awake the whole night if its worth it.





Another thing I really want to do is romance with my girl friend, quite walks, strolls etc. I love old heritage places and it would love to visit some which are not frequented by many tourists.





Perhaps even go for Moulin Rouge.





My major constraint is money, but since its a once in many years kind of of trip, I may still spend if its really worth it.




|||



Okay, some generally economical ideas:





Of all the places to enjoy a view of the city from above, ditch the Eiffel Tower in favor of either Notre Dame or the Arc de Triomphe; both for economy of money AND time. Where you only have two days, you don%26#39;t want to waste precious time standing in lines.





Enjoy the Eiffel Tower from the Trocadero across the river at sunset. The romance-o-meter is high at this event. Plus it%26#39;s free.





The Seine river cruise can be enjoyed inexpensively. Go to vedettesdupontneuf.com and print their coupon for a few euros savings. Print the schedule so you%26#39;ll know when to be there.





Instead of the Moulin Rouge (expensive and tourist-tacky), why not head to Au Limonaire or Vin Qui Danse (google both). They are restaurants with good entertainment. I understand they are way more fun than the MR too.





Another romantic and inexpensive thing to do is to pick up a baguette and some cheese, maybe some fruit and a bottle of wine. Head to any of parks in the city. There are many to choose from. You%26#39;ll find them easily on your map. You can drink wine if you%26#39;re discreet.





Another idea is to head to the Ponts des Arts. It%26#39;s a pedestrian bridge. Lovers are entwined like snakes all the livelong day and night on it.




















|||



No-one can help you with accommodation recommendations unless you define your idea of %26quot;very cheap%26quot; (preferably in Euros). To some people that%26#39;s €40/50 - to others it%26#39;s €150-200.




|||



Hi thanks for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it. I am doing a lot of googling already :)





For me %26#39;very cheap%26#39; would be approx. 40-50 euro/ night for both of us.




|||



%26lt;%26lt;For me %26#39;very cheap%26#39; would be approx. 40-50 euro/ night for both of us.%26gt;%26gt;





In that case, I think you%26#39;ll be looking at %26quot;backpackers%26quot; accommodation.





Try this site - Backpackers Travel Guide to Paris:



thebackpacker.net/destinations/…




|||



If you only have a couple days ... then I recommend taking one of the bus tours ... take 4 hours one day and see as much as you can. (Unless you will have a car and you can do this on your own.)





You do need to see the Eiffel tower ... but you don%26#39;t need to go up to any of the observation levels.





I%26#39;m big on seeing as much as you can ... relax and assume you will return some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment