Tuesday, April 24, 2012

To Lock or not to Lock?

Hi,





I hope that I am posting this in the proper forum. We are flying to Paris from Canada in early July. I have heard differing opinions as to whether to lock your luggage or not. Is there a common practice out there? What is your opinion? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks!




|||



It is OK to lock your checked luggage on any journey that does not involve the USA. In other countries, Customs and security examination of your baggage takes place while you are there: if an officer wants to see inside a bag, you will be asked to open it.





Locking the bags reduces the possibility of pilferage by baggage handlers and other airport staff.




|||



We just %26#39;lock%26#39; the luggage nowadays with cable ties. Last visit flying Air France both journeys one piece of luggage had the zip ties opened. It wasn%26#39;t done by our TSA here in the US as they%26#39;re required to leave a notice if they do open luggage (experienced this already so that%26#39;s right). Luggage was opened up at CDG. CDG personnel lay blame on Air France. Nothing was stolen. AF doesn%26#39;t acknowledge it. No surprise there. We never put anything of value in the luggage anymore anyway; it was just annoying noticing the luggage was opened.




|||



Lock. I always do. Why make it easier for thieves? And authorities, if they need to check it, can unlock/break any lock.




|||



I%26#39;ve never seriously considered locks on my luggage, as I would never put anything of value inside. Obviously the clothes have %26quot;value%26quot; but I have never been too worried about someone stealing my clothes. Anything I%26#39;m seriously worried about goes with me on the plane. I also figure that if someone wants in my luggage badly enough, a little dinky luggage lock is hardly going to stop them.





J




|||



I always lock my luggage with the required TSA locks. I figure if someone wants to steal my stuff, then they%26#39;re going to have to work for it. After all, I worked for it, no one gave my stuff to me for free.





Personally,I wouldn%26#39;t leave my luggage unlocked no more than I%26#39;d leave my car door or residence unlocked. Happy Travels!




|||



It%26#39;s pointless to lock your bags. Anyone can simply insert a ball point pen between the zipper teeth and easily pry it apart entirely, then use the zipper pulls (lock intact) to reclose the self-repairing zipper.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;I also figure that if someone wants in my luggage badly enough, a little dinky luggage lock is hardly going to stop them.%26lt;%26lt;





Agreed. But if an airport employee wants to try a spot of quick pilfering, an unlocked bag is much easier. Ripping locks off baggage might attract more attention than just quietly undoing a zip.




|||



We use zip ties (like cable ties) with UNIQUE ID NUMBERS. I don%26#39;t really care a lot about having something stolen (if someone needs MY clothes that badly then they are welcome to them...plus I%26#39;m insured) BUT I do like to know if my luggage has been opened AND am more concerned about my bag being used to transport something from airport to airport or country to country.




|||



I have never locked my bag,, I really carry nothing of value that I would miss, plus I have insurance.. but I do think previous poster made a good point about bags maybe being used to transport stuff illegally by staff.. I guess I had never thought of that.




|||



This is more for the case IF I ever had my luggage inspected I could tell them that after I packed I sealed my bag with a zip tie numbered ###### and it has been removed so I take no responsibility for what%26#39;s inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment