Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Best way (for me) from CDG to Paris?

We are arriving into CDG from Venice at 5pm and leave the next morning 9:25am to the U.S. It is the last night of our two week trip in Europe. This is the only night in Paris. My question is, what is my best bet from CDG to a hotel near the Arc de Triumph and also back to CDG from the hotel very early in the morning. My goal is to walk a little, see the Arc, maybe the Eiffel, have dinner and go home the next day. Now, I will have luggage, my wife is not as brave(specially in a foreign country) as me, and I don%26#39;t speak French. Your help and advice is appreciated!





Bayland




|||



Air France bus runs from the airport to Arc de Triomphe.




|||



A taxi may be the quickest route if you don%26#39;t want to brave the metro. You wouldn%26#39;t have any extra stops like you would with a shuttle service - If all goes well and you are not delayed in flight, you should be in Paris central by 6 or 630 at the latest I would think. You will not need to speak French to negotiate your way around. English is widely spoken - just be polite and offer a Bonjour Madame or Monsieur and you will be fine.





Your hotel concierge service can get a taxi for you the next morning. You will need to be at CDG 3 hours prior to departure for international flight. Makes for a very early morning if you have a 9:25 flight. Allow 45 minutes to get back to the airport.





While you are in Paris, if you have time, Notre Dame is beautiful at night.




|||



Interestingly, as I read your post, I remembered that Continental not only changed their 777s from Houston to Paris to 767s, they also moved back the departure time from 6 something to 3 something (I%26#39;m taking Continental from Houston to Paris next week for a 6 week stay in mostly Provence). I personally find it easier to rest on the eastbound portion of a trans-Atlantic flight if the flight departs very late in the day (night).





What all of this means is that with an earlier departure time from the US, one will also have an earlier return time from Paris. Thus, it is no longer possible to commute into CDG for a same day IAH departure, at 9h25 it%26#39;s just too early for the TGV connections from Dijon, Avignon, Tours, or Strasbourg. As I am booked for my July return to the US through Houston, I%26#39;ll now need to preposition myself near to CDG. Staying in Paris the night before means departing the city before 6h00, something not easily done from many points in Paris.





You might consider doing what I shall be doing, spending the last night in France at a hotel near the airport. One could stay in the city the night before, but you%26#39;ll have absolutely no margin for error commuting to the airport the next morning.




|||



Take Air France bus to Porte Maillot/Arc de Triomple or take Roissy bus to Opera/Palais Garnier. Now you have to find a hotel near one of those two places.



An other option would be to stay near airport at Sheraton for example, and go to Paris luggage free for a few hours and come back to sleep and be ready for your morning flight/

No comments:

Post a Comment