Saturday, April 21, 2012

Trusting an apartment renter

I found a place in Nice thats relatively cheap to stay in, but im having sudden last minute doubts about the place. I foudn the property on http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk





He wants 100 euros sent to him via western union for deposit, and a copy of my passport by email. Maybe im being paranoid, but is there any way for me to maek sure he doesnt run off with my deposit? Are scams a regular thing with renting apartments in these touristy areas?





I would really like to go with this pace as it is only 70E night, but my gut is kicking in :\




|||



Asking for a deposit by Western Union is a warning flag!




|||



And I%26#39;ve never been asked for a copy of my passport.





We always book through one of the agents in the area (Riviera Rentals or Riviera Pebbles), and pay the deposit by credit card. In the UK, provided the deposit is more than £100, one is covered for the whole amount, should the worst happen.




|||







I agree the Western Union request is an odd one. Most owners have other arrangements as they know this is a red flag.





If you can%26#39;t find another apt. for a similar price, you could contact the Tourist Office closest to the rental unit and ask if it is registered with them. If not, I wouldn%26#39;t book it. You could also ask them for another apt. in the same price range.





Better safe than sorry and always go with your gut instinct.




|||



Avoid every agency or owner asking for deposit or payment via western union.



some owners and agencies ask sometimes for your pssport number but I never heard about any copy (even if they should not be able to do a lot with)





I rented an apartment in Paris last year with : http://www.lodjee.com, they were great and have a Paris department http://www.lodjee.com/paris





I was also in touch with : http://apartments-rental.yellowstay.eu they were pretty quick to answer and have good choice too




|||



Ah you guys are right, definitely dont trust this guy now, and defintiely dont want to be sweating it out in Aix not knowing if theres a palce waiting for us in Nice. This guy had no reviews eithers.





We found a new place, with a couple positive reviews, and big old certified icon on www.primaryrentals.com, so I think we%26#39;ll go with that place instead. Thanks for the advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment