Tuesday, April 24, 2012

apartment scam

I almost rented the %26quot;dazzling jewel%26quot; apartment which is legitimate on VRBO, but I found it on a fraudulent website for %26quot;half-price%26quot;. Is usaparis.com for real??Thanks! Lauren Wall




|||



I have just read the terms and conditions of USAParis contracts. You would be mad to rent from them.





All money well up front, no assistance without an extra fee, non working appliances may take up to 36 hours for someone to come and does not void the contract, if the apartment is suddenly not available they will give you your money back,(not find you a new apartment) if you can%26#39;t come they have no obligation to try to re-rent, no matter how much notice, pick up of keys is via the locked box system so you make no contact with anyone, you are presumed to know how to operate all appliances etc.





And if the place is filthy, nothing at all works, you may be entitled to a max refund of 10%.





Think I would be looking elsewhere in a hurry.




|||



Thank you so much! Perhaps I better stay at the holiday Inn!!




|||



No, you don%26#39;t need to stay in a Holiday Inn - but definitely rent through an agency that has a track record of good service, as reviewed here and on other sites by people who make regular postings (one off posters are, invariably, sus).





How long is your stay in Paris?




|||



By the way - lynneb48: you%26#39;ve lost the artichoke flowers????




|||



Ella a change is as good as a holiday...well actually not, but another great memory, this time of the Millau Viaduct, also from the last holiday in France.




|||



We%26#39;re staying just a week at the end of April...My sister and I are a going and we%26#39;d like a 2 b-room apt. I%26#39;ve made several VRBO contacts and I%26#39;ve stayed in a few of those elsewhere with great success. What%26#39;s your suggestion?




|||



VRBO generally works well. I don%26#39;t think they keep people on their books who don%26#39;t follow the rules.





I will no longer pay all money sight unseen. I want to meet the person at the apartment and see what it is like first before I part with all the rent plus a damage deposit.





I had what looked like a great place in Spain but the owner would only rent all money a month up front. There was no picture of the second bedroom or of the bathroom. He would not provide them and wouldn%26#39;t waver from all money up front. We found a lovely place where we paid a deposit and will meet the owner, see the apartment and then pay the remainder.





I think it is time we started to stand up for this principal. Otherwise we are liable to be scammed. The conditions imposed by the agency above are outrageous and they should be shunned.




|||



Oh for an edit button. I was a teacher for far too long. For %26quot;principal%26quot; substitute %26quot;principle%26quot;




|||



There is a post by kmilo99 and the web site given is wordpress.com/2008/. It gives the names of a number of people who%26#39;ve tried to scam by renting non-existing apartments, etc.




|||



Lynne48 --





Don%26#39;t you hate when that happens - but I have to say, I love discovering that I%26#39;m not the only one who knows the difference. Now if I could just get everyone squared away on advice vs. advise...

No comments:

Post a Comment