Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tours out of Lorient, or Larmor-Plage...

Hi all,





I have a limited amount of time in the area of Lorient, and I would like to do something a little %26quot;touristy%26quot; at least. I%26#39;m a young woman travelling on business, so my options of getting around are limited and i really would prefer something guided. I speak very little French as well. Can anybody offer any good tour groups that leave Larmor-Plage or Lorient, perhaps for a day excursion somewhere?





I%26#39;m sorry if I%26#39;m being vague, but this trip was pretty rushed and I have had very little time to research the area!




|||



I have spent years travelling France. Of all of the places I have explored, I have a list of two locations I consider having little to nothing to offer tourists.





The first place on my list of %26quot;to avoid%26quot; is Albertville. There is really nothing there after the Olympics, not even a glimpse of charm it may have had before being industrialize by the games. This city seems to have been completely consumed, its humanistic elements exhausted by the Olympic games. All that is left here of value are the memories of the events which occurred years ago.





The second on my list of %26quot;to avoid%26quot; is Lorient. It admittedly has an interesting name but that%26#39;s where the attraction ends. If you are spending any time at all here, you%26#39;ll be ready for a change - why not take an excursion to Ile de Groix (the island of Groix). Just 45 minutes by boat from Lorient, Ile de Groix is a beautiful get away. This is not a fast paced destination, but it has genuine charm, a wonderful location to inspire and re-invigorate the spirit.





http://groix.tourisme.free.fr





Boat information here:





www.compagnie-oceane.fr/fr/groix/ile_f.php





There are some guided tours in and around Lorient but unfortunately I cannot find any in English.





If you ask at the Tourist Office, you might be able to take a bus down to Vannes, a charming city just to the south. If you have a couple of days, I recommend a boat trip to Belle Isle en Mer - a beautiful island full of things to do. Belle Isle is very popular among French tourists but virtually unknown to the traveling public outside of France. It%26#39;s a real gem.




|||



Oh my, I wish I had requested this information earlier because now I am dying to get to Belle-Isle. Unfortunately, I feel like I would not be able to navigate very easily without much French knowledge. Perhaps I can get a coworker to assist me.





And yes, I agree, Lorient is a cute, tidy little town and the people are very friendly, but there does not seem to be much to do. Thanks for the information!

No comments:

Post a Comment