Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Solo Female Travel to Nice

I am planning to do some travel in Europe by myself next month, and was wondering if there is anything I need to know about Nice (safety wise) before I go.





I am a 24 year old married female, and will be traveling, likely, 100% solo.





Are there any areas to avoid in Nice, or anything that you would really recommend for a solo traveler to see or do? I like socializing, but don%26#39;t like it when men are too forward (as I am married and not interested in romance, at all, obviously). Just friendly conversation, especially at restaurants and bars would be super helpful. I am straight, but don%26#39;t care if a place is focused to gay/straight whatever crowds or clientele, so long as they are friendly.





I like meeting lots of different kinds of people, but unfortunately barely speak any Italian and Spanish, and NO French thus far. Can you suggest a few helpful phrases?





I thought I heard something about a female-only beach from a friend. Any idea where this is located or if it actually exists?





As this will be just a small part of 12 weeks of (getting expensive) travel in Europe, I%26#39;d like suggestions for affordable, safe, and good accommodations in Nice. Looking for 4 nights from 24 June 2009. I won%26#39;t be splitting the cost with anyone else on this leg, so I am hoping to spend less than $75 per night if possible. I am willing to visit hostels with female dorms, but can%26#39;t seem to find any available for those days :( B%26amp;Bs, budget hotels, and apartments also welcome!





Thank you for your help!




|||



Your questions suggest a degree of anxiety about this trip, but relax, Nice is a safe and female-friendly place, and you do not have any reason for concern. There is a large proportion of English-speakers among its many visitors and more than a few Americans. (I know as I can usually hear them, even from a distance!)





If you eat out in the popular Zone Pietone I%26#39;ve often ended up in conversation with fellow diners. Its a friendly atmosphere. There are %26quot;pubs%26quot; in the Cours Saleya and Rue de la Prefecture which are popular with the younger crowd, a lot of %26quot;girly-weekend%26quot; groups and again a lot of English spoken. (As for pushy men, the expression %26quot;go away%26quot; is generally well understood)





Whilst polite greeting locals in French (Bonjour, Merci etc) goes a long way, don%26#39;t raise their expectations - if they think you speak reasonable French you will immediately get a stream of unintelligable fast French back. In these circumstances nod vigourously with a %26quot;d%26#39;accord, a%26#39;accord%26quot; - I agree - it should get you out of trouble.





The only single sex beach I have come across is for naked men, at Golfe Juan, so otherwise I can%26#39;t help other than to say it is not necessary here - everything beachwise is friendly relaxed and a mix of couples, singles, families, kids, and babies.You won%26#39;t be bothered.





$75 a night will easily get you a room of your own in a two star hotel - pretty basic, but its just a room, and not the Hilton. There are lots to choose from, but we%26#39;ve used the Crillon in Pastorelli - very central, safe, and basic but low cost. Peronally I would avoid hotels around the immediate area of the railway station, as they are a little sleazy, like most cities. A good central hostel is



Les Camélias 3, rue Spitalieri 06000 email: nice-camelias@fuaj.org





Happy travels - should be warming up nicely!




|||



There isan%26#39;t anywhere specifically to avoid- Nice s a very safe city for women [or men] just take the usual precautions you would take anywhere, don%26#39;t get visibly drunk, don%26#39;t flash money around or use cash machines late at night , walk on the main streets rather than taking short cuts.





The tram runs till about 2am and is very safe , also the tram route is a good route to follow if walking home as its really well lit.





As far as being hassled is concerned,well France is not like parts of Italy where men will shout and stare and grope.



French men might speak or ask you for a coffee but a polite %26#39;non merci%26#39; suffices.





Saying %26#39;I%26#39;m married %26#39; generally gets an %26#39;i don%26#39;t mind %26#39; reply from the guy btw.





The station area is improving all the time - its quite safe but because it was a run down area [though the buildings are getting refurbished now] and there are a couple of sex shops foreigners often found it a bit offputting





My parents [late 60s early 70s and frankly quite prim and proper and not at all street-wise ] always stay near the train station when the visit us and never have any problems walking around at night



I%26#39;ve lost track of how many times they have visited Nice but its a lot.





I walk home alone regularly and never see any trouble or have any hassle - though i did once get asked to go salsa dancing, I just took it as a compliment .





I don%26#39;t worry about my teenage daughter coming home on her own -0except for the usual mum worries if you see what i mean.





I%26#39;ve never heard of an all female beach in the area- but them I%26#39;ve never looked for one.



A lot of women go topless, the only people who would openly stare are tourists . Topless sunbathing isn%26#39;t compulsory either.




|||



I was there last weekend with some friends, but got seperated after leaving a bar and was set upon by four guys. Luckily I managed to %26quot;fend%26quot; them off and got back to a busier street.



It can happen anywhere, so just make certain you know who%26#39;s around you especially in the windy back streets of the old town.




|||



Hi! I%26#39;m also travelling on my own for month so need to keep costs down. Thanks very much to above posts for helpful advice - except I actually hope people DO ask me out for coffee ha ha ha. My last 2 trips I didnt meet anyone except some married couples and the 2 ferry boys on the way over to Capri!! I gotta try harder! LOL





Anyway, I booked Hotel Rex in Nice at EUR50 a night. It has some good reviews on this site and old exteriors dont worry me as long as room is clean and tidy.



www.hotel-rex.com. Cant get better placed than Rue Massena for that price!




|||



Fingers crossed, Yasmine- hope you get loads of the coffee invitations.





As an addendum to the stuff about the station area, a new Monop%26#39; - a mini monoprix shop is going to open across from the station - i saw a lot of the shopfitting had been done when i passed yesterday so it can only be a few weeks away at most




|||



Good to know Yasmine I won%26#39;t be the only single travelling to Nice.For me,a 3 week stay - albeit a single male 50+!





Though my 2 daughters will be each with me over 2 out of the 3 weeks I%26#39;m sure they will want their own time also,it had crossed my mind about how to fill that time too.Definitely coffee,LOL





As Selkie says,fingers crossed!



Have a great holiday.




|||





rykar - fingers crossed for you too =]

No comments:

Post a Comment