Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Getting from Bayeux to Caen on DDay

I managed to get passes to the ceremonies at the American Cemetery on June 6.





The last time I was in Normandy (60th anniversary), trying to go anywhere on D Day itself was awful.





We have to be in Caen for the meeting point. I don%26#39;t know what time yet.





If anyone is on the ground in Normandy right now, any idea what roads will be blocked off? As I recall I went pretty far out of my way to get anywhere east of Bayeux....






|||



That was because in 2004 there were 17 Heads of State in attendance. This time Sarkozy has only seen fit to invite Obama (our Queen is very upset at having been snubbed, especially when she herself was actually involved in the war as an ATS girl, makes my blood boil!) So there won%26#39;t be anywhere near the road closures that you encountered last time, certainly not between Bayeux and Caen.




|||



Thiaumerie%26#39;s right, the roads between Bayeux and Caen wont be busy.



If anything I think the roads will be quieter than normal. The tour I was going to guide on the 6th has been put to the 7th because the people want to go to the cemetery and can%26#39;t on the 6th. I think many bus tours will be postponed for that reason.




|||



I was driving on the N13 yesterday, and saw two yellow information boards at the side of the road saying.....



6th June Road Closed from Caen to Carentan.......



I know Obama is arriving at the American Cemetery for 3pm.




|||





I have just found this official information, sorry it is in French...put it into Bable Fish.





…gouv.fr/sections/…




|||



Thanks Maisy.





I know that is the main route. What other side routes should we then use? I have a good Michelin map but it%26#39;s been 5 yrs since I drove there last...




|||



The link given shows the official deviation for trucks which is very long.



A scenic and quicker route would be to take the D12 from Bayeux towards Courseulles (from the Eisenhower roundabaout go northwards then it%26#39;s signposted to the right at some traffic lights)





About 9 miles 12Km along that road you%26#39;ll come to a road to Creully the D35 which will take you to Caen.



That road into Creully takes you past the XVIIIc Chateau of Creulet where Montogommery had his HQ, then the medieval chateau of Creully where the BBC set up it%26#39;s studio to broadcast news of the battle of Normandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment