Friday, March 30, 2012

Train trip in France

We are a couple in our late 60%26#39;s, planning our first visit to France in September-October. Will be travelling by train in between cities (no car rentals for us), so we need to use public transportation. Will probably start with 5 days in Paris, and wish to end our trip in Nice where we would stay 4 days.





We would love to visit chateaux/wineries, but cannot decide where we should stop for 3 days in between Paris and Nice. Should it be in Bordeaux, Burgundy, Dijon-Beaunes or in Avignon? As we are celebrating our wedding anniversary, it would be nice to stay at one of the chateaux, as long as it is not too far from the train station and that we can get transportation somehow.





Your advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.




|||



My choice would be Avignon, because I like the town and the area. Other may have different views.





Don%26#39;t get sucked in to buying a rail pass or booking through RailEurope: point-to-point tickets are cheaper, especially if bought in advance. You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, at www.tgv-europe.com but say you are from Great Britain. If you say you are from North America, you get switched to a site with much higher prices.




|||



I recently bought a train ticket from London to Perpignan and I am fairly sure I was told that if I wanted to I could break up my train journey with one stop with no extra cost. I think it had to be done in a certain amount of time such as within the same month but its worth further investigation if the alternative is more expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment