Friday, March 30, 2012

Wheelchair-Accessiibility in low-end Accor Hotels

I will be travelling throughout southern Europe with a friend in September. We are considering staying at the Etap, All Seasons or Ibis hotels since we are on a limited budget and upscale hotels don%26#39;t impress us. Many of them advertise %26quot;reduced-mobility%26quot; rooms. That is an abstract term, I require more information on what they mean. Specifically:





- Is the bathroom larger than the one in a regular room?





- Is the bathroom doorway at least 66 cm wide?





- Are there grab bars beside the toilet and in the shower?





- Is there a fold-down seat in the shower?





- Is thsere an opening under the sink for my legs?





- What type of bed(s) is in the room, twin or double?









They are not responding to my inquires either because of the language barrier or they just can%26#39;t be bothered. As well, since I will be staying at several hotels during my travels I would like to know if all hotels advertising %26quot;accessible” rooms conform to some corporate standard.





If you have any experience with these hotel chains, I wulld appreciate it hearing about it.





Thanks,




|||



I haven%26#39;t seen a fold down seat in the shower, in my experience there has been a wet room, not uncommon for any sort of accommodation in Europe.





Sometimes there is an opening under the sink. I%26#39;m not sure if there was an all of those hotels that I have stayed in. I don%26#39;t use a chair, so I don%26#39;t necessarily notice those things.





I have had both single and double beds.





The answer to all your other questions is yes, in my experience.





The rooms I have been in have all been on the ground floor, whether or not the hotel had an elevator.





These chains are about the same standard as a Days Inn or Motel 6 in the US - clean and basic, but generally comfortable.




|||



Thanks for your quick response. It sounds like you get around. It sounds one hotel is about the same as another for accessibility. Have you been to any other European countries. Any noticeable difference in the hotels between countries?




|||



I%26#39;m probably telling you what you already know, but there is quite a lot on-line under such headings as %26quot;accessible rooms France%26quot; which may help.





I also found sites like this



globalaccessnews.com/parispasserelleswheelch…



and this



wheelchairaccessibleholidayhomesfordisabledp…



www.accessible-accommodation.eu





Hope you have a great holiday




|||



Thanks, I%26#39;ll check them out. Cost is also a big constraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment