Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What to wear in September in Paris

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Paris in early September and am just trying to determine what we should pack. We will be doing sight seeing during the day but going to dinner and out at night. I%26#39;ve read about avoiding white tennis shoes (which we don%26#39;t wear) but am just trying to determine what else we should pack. Any help would be appreciated!




|||



As far as shoes are concerned, I%26#39;d pack at least two pairs of comfortable shoes. I%26#39;ve found that even if you have good shoes, it helps to switch things up every couple days. Function over fashion. I%26#39;ve re-learned this lesson several times over-- no matter what else I bring, I always end up dragging out the running shoes and flip flops at least a couple times a trip (I%26#39;m the exception, I think, but I can walk miles in flip flops).




|||



We%26#39;ve been to Paris in September three times. It could be very warm or very chilly, or a few days of one followed by a few days of the other. You just never know.





Recommend planning on summer clothing plus the ubiquitous layers for outerwear. We always pack at least one sweater, wool blazer (or polartec jacket if the trip is all casual) that layers nicely under a raincoat. I prefer a raincoat with a hood which precludes the need to haul an umbrella all over all the time.





Do check a ten or fifteen day forecast on the web when finalizing your packing. But, still plan for warmer or cooler, and pay attention to the %26quot;lows%26quot;. Even when it%26#39;s warm during the day, you may need something for the chilly evenings and on open air boats, etc. No matter the forecast, I always bring my sandals, as they are my very most comfortable walking footwear, and I%26#39;ve been happy to have them, even if there%26#39;s only one day of favorable weather.




|||



I will also be travelling to Paris in September. I intend packing summer/autumn clothing (t-shirts short and long sleeve, jeans, blazer or light rain coat, and 2 pairs of shoes: nikes and semi-smart sandles for the evening). Best thing, layer clothing, you don%26#39;t know what kind of weather you will have even if you check the forecast beforehand.



If I need an umbrella, I alway buy a cheap one over there. I like to travel light. Hope this helps.



Shelly.




|||



I will also be travelling to Paris in September. I intend packing summer/autumn clothing (t-shirts short and long sleeve, jeans, blazer or light rain coat, and 2 pairs of shoes: nikes and semi-smart sandals for the evening). Best thing, layer clothing, you don%26#39;t know what kind of weather you will have even if you check the forecast beforehand.







If I need an umbrella, I always buy a cheap one over there. I like to travel light. Hope this helps.







Shelly.




|||



My husband and I are travelling to Paris in September as well. Will wearing UGG%26#39;s walking around would make stand out like a sore thumb? I just find it very comfortable for walking and with the ever changing weather there I figured I bring it anyway along with some comfy flat shoes or nice flat boots. As for clothing someone told me that yes layering is the key to blending in with the Parisians and of course the ever so necessary scarf.




|||



The only problem with UGGs is the lack of good arch support, but if this doesn%26#39;t bother you then go for it!




|||



Im always hot and it was on the hot side when I was there 2 Septs ago. Cant imagine wearing Uggs in that heat, but that%26#39;s just me. Then again, anyone French will be staring at them!





I brought jeans, black jeans and a pair of black slacks (in case I went somewhere fancier for dinner) that I never wore. Probably brought a skirt I never got to wear. Just this morning I was thinking, if I went back to Paris this Sept, I would go with just the pair of black jeans and a pair of regular jeans...




|||



How about boots?





Im bringing a pair of white casual shoes and some grey timberland boots. I love boots and always bring a pair when I go somewhere but I have yet to see any french pictures with french actually wearing any boots.





Is this a big NO in france or just in paris?





Thanks




|||



Neither - lots of French women wear boots, but I wouldn%26#39;t expect to see them in warm weather (such as September) and you likely will be miserable if you wear them then (or sorry you lugged all that extra weight along, if you don%26#39;t).




|||



Nobody looks at your footwear. Trust me, the Parisians are too busy living their own lives to give a damn about what tourists put on their footsies.





Last September I had sweating hot days of +28C and freezing days of +14C. However, a light jacket, e.g. combined with a cardigan is more than sufficient.





As to Uggs I thought they were thick fur-lined sheepskin boots ?? Jeez, you wil DIE in those in September ! Forget it ! Most of the time it will be naked-feet-in-sandals weather.





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugg_boots

No comments:

Post a Comment