Thursday, April 19, 2012

recent trip to paris

hi all, came back from paris last night,researched a lot on this forum before going, so a big thank you to all.loved paris,taken eurostar from london,lovely hassle-free journey,got our metro carnets from the vending machines which has an english option, so no problem there.metro was truly efficient, always on time %26amp; even in the middle of night felt safe on the train as well as on the roads outside.parisians were very courteous as a rule, always helpful,appreciated our rudimentary french !initially was dissappointed with the eiffel tower,it did look like the radio tower,even my 8yr old boy said so,but gradually we came to like it, specially the sparkling bit at night,a giant christmas tree !loved luvre,huge but a treasure trove %26amp; what a palace, the ceilings...takes your breath away.loved the courtyard,the fountains,the glass pyramid is incongruous but functional.been to champs elysees, place vendome,rue de rivoli,had hot chocolate,mont blanc %26amp; macaroons at angelinas, not impressed, cloyingly sweet for our taste.the patisseries near our hotel was excellent, specially pichard, adored the lemon tarts.croissants %26amp; assorted french breads were excellent too, never had a bad meal.did paris by night ,the atmosphere at the ille de la cite was very festive,people partying along the promenades,kept to themselves %26amp; felt very safe even at midnight.was overwhelmed by notre dam,the sheer magnitude of the place %26amp; the atmosphere, i was moved to tears !st.chapelle was wonderful too,what lovely stained glass ! overall loved the area of the cite, old bookshops along the quai,reminded us of our old city of calcutta ! had picnic in the garden just below the palace de chaillot,peaceful afternoon with the eiffel tower in front, not going to forget that in a hurry.never been up the tower itself but got on montparnasse tower for a view %26amp; what a view !though it doesn%26#39;t compare with the empire state bldg. view wise because paris as a city is flat,but the bejewelled eiffel tower more than compensated for that %26amp; it was fun identifying the other landmarks.



i live in london %26amp; been to other classical european cities as well (including salzberg) but paris bowled me over with it%26#39;s elegance,it%26#39;s people %26amp; it%26#39;s classic beauty.we stayed for four days %26amp; i know that we haven%26#39;t covered everything, but thankfully it wasn%26#39;t a box ticking exercise for us .




|||



Glad you had such an enjoyable trip. And hope that you will return-me too.



Your report would be easier to read with paragraphs.




|||



I%26#39;m a teacher, so I%26#39;m used to no paragraph breaks. ;-)





Thanks for the report - the transportation and safety issues are much on the minds of any first time visitors - we%26#39;re arriving on June 20. I think it%26#39;s very cool that you took time to have a good time, instead of attempting to %26quot;do everything.%26quot;





People look at me like I%26#39;m crazy when I say I won%26#39;t be devastated if I don%26#39;t get to the top of the ET, but like you - we%26#39;re going for l%26#39;experience and l%26#39;ambiance, je suppose. (No, I%26#39;m not a French teacher!)




|||



Thank you for your trip report, but, my goodness, it was hard to read . Capitals and paragraphs really do help.





I agree that going up top floor of ET is over rated.




|||



thanx everyone for responding %26amp; appreciating my report,yes I agree paragaraphs would have helped but I%26#39;m a doctor %26amp; for me the good writing habits have gone to the dogs as I guess I%26#39;m only proficient in writing up prescriptions !




|||



Good on you Sayan - lol - great information there - thanks for taking the time!




|||



Thank you so much for this report. I am leaving on June 5th (This Friday..yay) for my first trip to France, and reading your post was great.





I too told my partner that I would prefer not to go to the top of the ET and instead go to the top of Montparnasse since it is near our hotel and has been recommended by others on TA. Thanks again. Glad you had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment