Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Driving from Calais to Frejus

We have booked to stay at Holiday Green in June, we are taking the Eurotunnel and intend drving about three quarters of the way both journeys and stopping overnight. Can anyone suggest suitable places we can stay overnight which are as close to the motorway junctions as possible. Thanks




|||



Never done it myself - but my first port of call when trying to make these decisions is Google maps (www.maps.google.com). I use that to plot the trip and pick potential stop over points. Then I Google to look for information on what they%26#39;re like and the available accommodation.





God luck....




|||



thanks that%26#39;s helpful




|||



http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/ is better than Google maps for European journeys. For example, it gives you the precise cost of tolls, estimated journey times and cost of petrol (gas), and a choice of routes.





And on the same site (under %26#39;maps%26#39; rather than %26#39;driving directions%26#39;) if you enter a place then click %26#39;reserve a hotel, you will get a map showing the location of hotels (clickable for information) and of motorway junctions.




|||



thanks I will try that.




|||



If you%26#39;re simply wanting an overnight hotel, convenient for a motorway junction, have a look at any in the Accor chain - names like Novotel, Mercure, Etap are different prices and comfort levels, but generally reliable and often positioned to be convenient for motorway drivers: www.accorhotels.com/gb/home/index.shtml The other big group with travelodge-type places (eg, Campanile) is http://www.louvrehotels.com/en/index.aspx




|||



Perzilla - I have to disagree. You DO have to use Google Maps properly though, which it appears that not many people can do.





I used to use michelin Maps, now I don%26#39;t bother (amnd they don%26#39;t keep the tolls up to date, which is even worse than not %26quot;knowing%26quot; what the toll is)




|||



thanks for your help




|||



Hi WizardofAuz





One man%26#39;s meat is another man%26#39;s poison etc.





But I%26#39;m intrigued to know why you think that having no indication of tolls is better than having none at all, particularly for someone planning a long journey that they%26#39;ve never done before like the OP.





Not that I%26#39;ve ever found Michelin%26#39;s tolls to be inaccurate myself - but I imagine you%26#39;re right that updating does not always occur promptly.




|||



I thought there was a website that listed tolls, but I can%26#39;t find it. However, I came across this route finder: http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/homepage.html It looks very similar to Michelin - has anyone used it?




|||



Can%26#39;t speak for the northern journey but going south we stayed in Montelimar before the last leg of our journey to Frejus (Cavaliere).I agree Accor,Campanile are simple cheap clean hotels.Avoid Formule 1. These days who wants communal bathrooms/toilets?

No comments:

Post a Comment