Sunday, April 15, 2012

Camera tripod

Hi



Is it save to use camera tripod in Paris?





will people just grap my camera and run?




|||



Paris isn%26#39;t New York, but I%26#39;m not sure about this particular question. If somebody does grab your camera and run, they probably won%26#39;t speak French as a first language, but that%26#39;s as far as I can go to answer your question.





I think that part of the answer depends on where you plan to use your camera. If you%26#39;re planning to use a tripod outdoors to allow you to be included in your shots, it%26#39;s quite safe to ask somebody nearby to take the picture, in which case you won%26#39;t need a tripod. I%26#39;ve never heard of anyone running off with a camera, in that situation. If you were thinking of using it to take available light shots indoors at museums like the Louvre, don%26#39;t bother. You won%26#39;t be allowed to use a tripod there at all, nor at any other of the many museums, as far as I know.




|||



My biggest worry isn%26#39;t theft... it would be people triping over one of the legs and tipping the whole thing over....





And never hand your camera to a local, and then take off your shoes and get into a fountain.... lol





But in 2004, I dropped my wife%26#39;s camera in front of Notre Dame de Paris, and the plastic body popped open. Nothing worked... except my wife%26#39;s burning stare..... We had passed a camera shop on our way there... the nice photo shop gentleman used a metal probe to put the plastic housing back into place... along with a few souvenir deep scratches.... it worked, and he didn%26#39;t charge me... I gave him a nice tip. The white balance was a little off, and a great excuse to buy an updated camera....




|||



Im pretty sure I read prior to my trip that it isnt legal to set up a tripod in Paris. I did see 1 guy sneaking pictures on one from across the river of the lit up Eiffel Tower. I was able to get the same shots without the tripod (and that was pre 2.8 lens!)





And, actually, there is more street crime in Paris than NYC, so I love it when people think they can use NYC as an example of a dangerous place! We New Yorkers certainly dont walk around Paris with our day packs on our chests, because we come from a place where that%26#39;s not necessary! We may have more domestic violence, but fewer skilled pickpockets.





In NYC, like Paris, you%26#39;d be dumb to set up a tripod with valuable camera equipment because some oblivious tourist or suburban commuter will trip over it.




|||



also, I never want pictures of myself, but if you do - always pick the person with the better camera to ask. Not only are they less likely to steal yours, but the shots will hopefully be better.




|||



I saw a man using a tripod today in front of Notre Dame to take a photo of his wife and 2 kids in full sun midafternoon. No one seemed to mind and no one got close enough to trip. I just couldn%26#39;t figure out why he needed the tripod.




|||



neither could he...

No comments:

Post a Comment