Sunday, April 15, 2012

Getting out of Paris

My husband and I are traveling to Paris next week. We would like to get out the big city and visit a quaint french country town about 1-2 hours from Paris. I would love to stay in a cottage or B%26amp;B to get some french home cooking. We would also like the town to big enough to see some churches/monuments/vineyards,etc. Any suggestions?




|||



I certainly do not want to discourage you JenTex but as you have posted this in the Avignon forum, it might be worth noting that Avignon is 3 hours by TGV from Paris and while there are several chambres d%26#39;hotes in Avignon, there are no cottages. For that you%26#39;ll need to rent a car and travel outside of town.





What you are purposing is not really something that you can do on a simple overnight from Paris. A more realistic approach would be to rent a car for 3-4 days and drive out to Normandy or Burgundy or perhaps the Loire Valley.





For example, in Burgundy I have always found Auxcerre very charming with wonderful and not terribly expensive restaurants. Another possibility would be to drive to %26quot;Auberge La Lucarne aux Chouettes%26quot; a delightfully charming chambre d%26#39;hote/ restaurant owned and operated by Leslie Caron:





http://www.lesliecaron-auberge.com/





If you want to get out of Paris during your stay, I might recommend your visiting Chartres, Giverny, Chantilly, Fontainebleau, Versailles, Vaux-le-Vicomte, or perhaps Provins; all with easy access from Paris.




|||



Much thanks. The place you recommended with the website looks wonderful. I sent the link to my husband. I think he will love it.



Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment