Thursday, April 12, 2012

An act of kindness

Spent a wonderful 24 hours in Paris this weekend (thanks to Continental%26#39;s routing us through CDG home from Lisbon). What a way to end a great 3 weeks in Europe.





But the most meaningful moment in the city of light occurred yesterday morning when the St. Michel RER ticket machine wasn%26#39;t able to read any of DH or my cc%26#39;s. We had spent down our euros to around 16 and didn%26#39;t have enough to pay cash for our return trip to CDG. (BTW, we used a cc to purchase them into the city.)





While we were struggling to find a cc that would work in the machine, a not-so-kempt man lined up behind us. In my limited French I told him to go ahead of us, but he insisted on waiting. Finally we realized that we would have to use cash and my husband turned to this man and asked if he would take $2 US for one euro. This kind gentleman gave him 2 euros!!





And he kindly stayed with us to make sure we found the right platform for the RER B.





We were very grateful to this generous Parisian.




|||



With the exception of my ex-mother-in-law, Parisians are kind, gracious, and unselfish people.




|||



pix -





It%26#39;s funny how that works, isn%26#39;t it? And they don%26#39;t even have to be Parisiennes.




|||



Its nice to hear a good report on here,, instead of the %26quot;pickpocket and scam artist %26quot;threads that sometimes go extrodianrarily sideways,, LOL





Glad you didn%26#39;t knock down the un-kempt man for talking to you... LOL




|||



I too found the people of Paris kind, helpful and courteous without fail. Well, there was one guy who dismissed my husband with a wave in the opposite direction to the metro we were enquiring directions for. But we very much doubt he was French at all....:)




|||



We also found the french very friendly and helpful.We never had any problems there. There was one lady that tried the gold ring thing at the Eiffel Tower But my husband just told her he saw her drop it on the ground and she left.Lovely people, very clean city,good food . I can%26#39;t wait to go back.




|||



I and my friends do that to. What goes around comes around. I have given quite a few metro tickets to distressed tourists. Keep it going around!!!




|||



On several occasions, I have been struggling up a flight of metro stairs, dragging a large and heavy suitcase up one step at a time (why, oh why, do I pack so much?) and suddenly noticed the back end weight disappear. I turn, and some kind stranger has lifted the other end, and together we sail to the top.





Just one example of the many kindnesses I%26#39;ve experienced in Paris.




|||



At the Gare du Nord, I struggled with 2 large 26%26quot; suitcases, and my wife fought to keep our two strollers that were bungee%26#39;d together on a straight course, carrying our 2 and 4 year old.. A lovely lady approached us and asked if we needed any help. In my rudimentary French, I politely declined.... she chuckled, approached my wife and grabbed one of the strollers. She then proceeded to find out our destination (Bayeux) which was fortunate, as she informed us it left from the Gare St-Lazare... In my haste, I had overlooked this small detail. She guided us to a ticket agent, took our tickets, confirmed our plans, and helped us purchase our RER tickets to the next train station.





Her name is Katarina, a maid on her way home after a long day.... Very kind hearted...!




|||



Oh yeah, Pixfield..... LOL....!




|||



Lucky dog, you gained an entire 60 cents, truly parisians must be the most giving people of all.







Nice of him to show you where the train platform was though. Most people wherever you go are nice to visitors of their country.

No comments:

Post a Comment