Thursday, April 19, 2012

Citibank branch/ATM at Champ Elysees. Still OPEN/has CLOSED?

Hi,





So I was browsing thru %26quot;Citibank worldwide ATM/branch locator%26quot; and there is NO listing for France or Paris.





I called Citibank%26#39;s US based customer service and the information I got was a Le Defense address, which I%26#39;m assuming is corporate offices for Citibank in Paris.





The customer service rep told me he can%26#39;t find any listing at all for a branch or ATM in Paris.





I asked him about the Champs Elysees location, He said it%26#39;s not showing in his system. So I wonder if it%26#39;s still there or has closed.





Your info is very much appreciated.



Thanks.




|||



I believe it closed two or three years ago. I don%26#39;t know that it makes much difference to you as a traveler, and I do recall going there a few years ago, but I think it%26#39;s long gone. (You still would have paid a conversion fee, etc., so not too much advantage in going all the way over there even it still were in operation.)




|||



There is no longer any Citi ATM in France.




|||



Hi -





As far as I know, none of the Citi locations overseas were wholly owned by CitiBank, USA, since all the Citi branches were joint ventures, at the very least, so there was no special treatment in the US for their Citi customers using the overseas services - I paid the price for several countries.





As a rule, there are no fees charged for ATM use by the overseas banks, anyway. It%26#39;s your own bank you have to thank for fees and charges levied against your account, except for a 1% charge by Visa or MasterCard that%26#39;s included in the foreign exchange rate.





Even with that, and the other charges levied, 1% here and 3% there, etc., withdrawing money from ATMs overseas will still beat any other way of obtaining foreign currency, whether the euro or the yen. The question to ask is if there is any French bank with which Citi has a reciprocal, no charges agreement.




|||



My understanding today (and it may change next week with all the turmoils in banking) is that citibank and BNP have an agreement. So go to BNP, they are everyehere.




|||



I know that Bank of America and BNP have an %26quot;arrangement%26quot; where there are no transaction fees if you use a BoA debit card to retireve cash at a BNP ATM. I just opened a BoA checking account for this reason for my upcoming trip this summer. Also, for what it is worth, Capital One has no transaction fees on credit card purchases made overseas.




|||



I%26#39;m almost sure Citibank has an arrangement with BNP - but why don%26#39;t you ask them. You need to ask about their %26quot;correspondent bank%26quot;.




|||



Thanks for the responses.





While reading/researching %26quot;money%26quot; %26quot;euros%26quot; in this forum, I%26#39;ve read plenty of posts that gave me an impression that there is indeed a Citibank branch in Paris.





Maybe those are old posts.




|||



Although it was a few years ago, when I used my American Citibank card to withdraw money from the ATM in Paris, I was still assessed the standard 3% currency transaction fee.





They said I could have avoided the fee if I had $250,000 on deposit in my account. But of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment