Thursday, April 12, 2012

Six day itinerary - comments please!

Hi everyone, I have been lurking on these boards for months and it seemed like it would never be my turn - but finally it is only days until we leave for Paris!





Any comments on our six day itinerary? My husband has some mobility issues (dual hip replacement one year ago), so please let me know if these plans seem like too much!





Day One - Arrive CDG 8:30am. Shuttle to apartment in 7th. Drop off bags and wander around - get some groceries, get our Navigo Decouverte, get our bearings! Then head to Notre Dame and Ste Chappelle, followed by a quick bite to eat and (if we can stay awake) a cruise with Vedettes de Pont Neuf.





Day Two - Musee d%26#39;Orsay. Ile St. Louis and Berthillon. If we have any energy left, Musee Marmottan for evening opening.





Day Three - Musee de Cluny. Lunch at Jardin des Luxembourg. Catacombes. Dinner at Cafe Constant and walk to the Eiffel Tower.





Day Four - Louvre. L%26#39;Orangerie. Jardin de Tuileries. Place de la Concorde.





Day Five - Giverny in the morning. Picasso museum in the afternoon.





Day Six - Porte de Vanves Market in the morning. Galeries Lafayette/Printemps in the afternoon. Nice dinner (if we can afford it after Galeries Lafayette!)





Wow, putting this all down is making me see that it is really ambitious. DH especially is an art lover, so lots of museums - I am thinking that he can use a wheelchair in the larger museums to save himself for all of the other walking that Paris offers.




|||



It all looks like a lot of fun and very energetic. The only thing I see that you might have a problem with is the Catacombes, especially if your hubby has limited mobility as I read that there is quite a staircase to manoeuvre~ 130 steps down and 83 to go up.



www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/english.htm




|||



Thanks for the link, I love the warning: %26quot;Visit disadvised to the people suffering of cardiac or respiratory weakness and of nervous disease.%26quot; We will keep this as a %26#39;maybe%26#39;, although hubby has been doing the stairclimber at the gym so we might be ok. : )




|||



My knee is not the greatest either but I have left it on my list of things to possibly see. I will make up my mind once we get there. Also I%26#39;m still not sure if it is really amazing or just very creepy! lol




|||



I think all of the days sound do-able and not too exhausting. Because I was sick during my trip, I especially noticed that the museums have plenty of seats and benches if you need to stop and rest. Day 3 might be tight because the Catacombs (as I learned the hard way) close at 5 but they do not admit people after 4pm. So you%26#39;d have to fit that in early, and they say that most visits last at least 45 minutes.





Enjoy your trip!




|||



You may have a long wait at Ste. Chappelle. You should plan to arrive early unless you don%26#39;t mind waiting.



Buy your ticket to the d%26#39;Orsay a day or two in advance so you don%26#39;t have to wait in line the day you go. If you go to the Louvre, make SURE you see the state apartments.





Also, if you want to see the L%26#39;Orangerie you should book tickets in advance. I was in Paris for New Years and we wait in line in the cold for 45minutes to get into the L%26#39;Orangerie and this was December 29th!!





Avoiding the lines makes it easier to enjoy the museums. I suffer from back problems and if I wait in line for long times it makes it difficult to enjoy all of the museums.

No comments:

Post a Comment