Sunday, April 15, 2012

Moving to Paris - Scared!

Hi Everyone,





First time on this forum. I wanted to see if anyone has advice. I%26#39;ll be moving to Paris for an indefinite amount of time. This is a wonderful opportunity where I have a great place to stay (in the 8th District), will have some income (enough) and will have a lot of free time to do whatever I want, which will include regular French language classes. Additionally, I%26#39;m going to be helping run a small business in another country, so I%26#39;ll be flying there for a few weeks at a time.





In any case, I still can%26#39;t help finding myself really nervous about the whole experience. To be honest, I%26#39;m scared. Often times, I%26#39;m very excited, but when I think about potentially feeling really lonely over there and not knowing what to do with myself.





I have traveled extensively (but that%26#39;s always a different experience because you know you%26#39;re coming home). In any case, though I know this is the opportunity of a life time, the whole idea of moving even further away from home (I%26#39;m from CA, moved to NY two years ago) is really intimidating.





Any advice to help me feel more comfortable and secure? Any would be greatly appreciated.




|||



First of all. find other expats, they will help you gain some confidence. Meetup.com has many activities.



Find an exercise class, take a language course. Get a yearly membership at Louvre, Musee d%26#39;Orsay and also a pass at the movies (I have the UGC/MK2 one).



Look at all the activities offered through the town hall (mairie du 8ieme). Take photos. Write a book. All changes generate some anxieties but they make you a more interesting person.




|||



Angloinfo is a really good resource -use the forums to find out what%26#39;s on, get help and info , meet up with like minded people, buy and sell, find accommodation etc, etc





http://paris.angloinfo.com/




|||



I would Just go for it, if it%26#39;s something that you REALLY want to do, and stop stressing out over it. You%26#39;ll meet lots of folks in your language classes. I%26#39;ve been out traveling solo and living out in the world since I was 17, and I%26#39;m female.





I always enrolled myself into a language course and made tons of friends. Back then I would mostly rent a room at a kollegium, up in Denmark. A lot of the young, university-aged, native-born population of the country lived in kollegiums. I was then able to practice my language skills daily. Plus, I practiced speaking, as much as possible, out on the street daily.





Many of my closest friends, here in L.A., have taken off alone, in the mid 70s, to places like Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Paris, Spain, and LOTS of other places and lived in them for 1-2 years. Most were female. When they did it, they were all in their early to late 20s. And this was back before computers, and cell phones. So, we would have to go to the post office and wait for a phone line out to the U.S. to call home.





My friend who lived in Nigeria, for a year, and I would mail letter cassettes to each other. We%26#39;d just record our voices on a cassette, of all the happenings that were going on, and mail the cassette back and forth to each other. That went on for a year. It would take a good 3-4 weeks to receive mail to and from Nigeria. The phone service was very spotty and extremely expensive.





It%26#39;s a heck of a lot easier and cheaper these days to stay in touch with folks.





I%26#39;m early 50s now, and still take off alone and to all of the continents of the world. I%26#39;m always ready to experience something new.





Also enroll yourself into some Adult Ed types of courses, when your language skills get more solid. That way you can interact with NATIVE speakers as not to become dependent on people only of your native language. I%26#39;m sure there are lots of different types of fun courses that you could sign up for. Plus, you%26#39;ll acquire new vocabulary in those courses.





As busy as my friends and I kept ourselves, while abroad, we didn%26#39;t have much time to get homesick. Smiles. Happy Travels!




|||



Hi NYC2Pari!





I am very envious! I can certainly understand your fear and anxiety, though. I%26#39;m just going to go to Paris for a few days by myself and I%26#39;m very nervous!





It%26#39;s great that you will be taking language classes -- I studied in France over 30 years ago and the classes were great and help you meet others and feel more comfortable in the culture.





I%26#39;ve only been involved on this forum for a week or so, and there are so many helpful people here you%26#39;ll be amazed at the help they can give you. There%26#39;s tons of information in the forum if you search on anything.





Good luck!




|||



NYC2..I hope you have a visa unless you are a citizen of an EU country. Have you looked into this?




|||



Join a professional assoc. There are many anglophone ones, depending on your profession. You could also get politically involved, the dems and reps both have groups for expats overseas. There is a free speakers%26#39; series at the AMerican Library, there are volunteer opportunities, there is the WICE center if you want to study and of the arts. The American Church has various groups and orgs that you can join or look into (completely non-religious groups).



Your first year figuring out the butter at the grocery store may be enough.



Start a blog, taking cooking lessons.



I%26#39;ve done the same, so has a number of others on the forum. Come here with your questions as you go. It is highly recommended, btw.




|||



la_photographe:





Thanks for the advice. I%26#39;ve already signed up for MeetUp.com and registered for a few different meetups that I plan on attending once I get there. Many of them around expats. I%26#39;ll take your other advice as well, just keeping really busy!




|||



selkieNice:





Great resource, I%26#39;ll check it out. I%26#39;m all squared up on housing, etc. But it looks like there is a ton of other stuff on that site. Much appreciated.




|||



Guenmai:





Thank you for sharing your experiences so in depth. You%26#39;re completely right about being able to keep in touch much easier these days with Skype, etc. Regardless, you still feel that sense of potentially being alone when you%26#39;re living abroad. But I%26#39;m sure it will pass, just more so the anticipation of leaving, I suppose. Thanks!




|||



MDChicago2:





Even before I made a post on this forum I could tell how helpful people were going to be, that%26#39;s why I kind-of just put my thoughts/feelings out there, even though it feels a bit silly. I know it%26#39;s just nervousness because it%26#39;s a big change, but hearing about other%26#39;s experiences always helps! I hope you have a wonderful time in Paris. I%26#39;ve been several times and it%26#39;s great. If you have time to go to this restaurant, it serves mainly duck and is the best I%26#39;ve ever had: Le Domaine de Lintillac. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment